Sunday, August 19, 2007

Unmounted Stamps Tutorial

I am, by no means, an expert on unmounted stamps. But lately, I've purchased several unmounted products. I've noticed that the term "unmounted" means something different to each company. It's all just fine to me... I just knew I'd need to come up with something standard for myself.

What I prefer is a cling mounted product that I can use with an acrylic block.
Some of what I've seen are:
1. Already cling mounted - you just need to trim.
2. Rubber only - this always leaves me a bit perplexed... I add the cling foam, since this is what I like.
3. Stamp with foam added... and it's ready to stick to a surface permanently, such as your own wood block.
In order to adapt, I found that I can easily use a product I already own to make these sticky unmounted stamps acrylic-ready. I'm sure seasoned stampers already know this trick, but I was rather proud of myself for figuring it out on my own.

Step 1: Lay out a layer of Saran Wrap.
Step 2: Remove the paper backing to reveal the sticky foam.

Step 3: Adhere the rubber stamp to the Saran Wrap and trim.



Step 4: Use with acrylic blocks. I've had to dampen the back of the stamp a bit to get it to cling to the block... but it works like a charm.

I hope this helps you out of a sticky spot!

Thanks for stopping by!

Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the information I did not know this, I am converting all my stamps to cling stamps so this is great information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa! Sorry... I couldn't find your e-mail, so I decided to just leave a comment. You are the lucky winner for my Paper Pretties Blog Candy!!!! Please message me and we'll go over the details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a clever way to deal with the sticky UMs -- I'm going to have to try this myself. Thanks so much for sharing this system. :)

    ReplyDelete